homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bad day ahead?

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bad day ahead?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:50:47 -0400

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Lynn Wigglesworth
<lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hmm...err...the dome over my property isn't in this year's budget, I'm
> afraid, so I can guarantee lots of snow. And ice. I have a picture of my
> driveway from last year...the entire 200' of it is encased in about 2"
> of ice. It was 3 days before I could get out.

This is our driveway every winter, off and on (up to 3 1/2 weeks at one
point last year), only it's on a hill and the driveway itself is about 200
yards. In icy weather or storms, we park up top and around the corner where
it is more level. We walk back and forth (on days we need to go into town)
with Yaktrax on our feet.

Yaktrax (in all sizes):
http://www.streamlightdistributor.com/yaktrax-series.aspx?gclid=CIiGvpKowJYCFQOuFQodt0pjzQ
Yaktrax for just $10 in size Large (great deal):
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24101?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=24101

For $10-$20 this products keeps you upright and helps you to avoid a trip to
the emergency room or your local doctor for injuries suffered in a slip on
the ice.

If I didn't have kids at home, I'd consider renting rooms to people who
> enthusiastically wanted to farm.

That's not a bad idea down the road if times become that hard. Tenants may
not have much cash, but in exchange for room & board you ask for x hours of
labor per week.

Lisa