homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canned pumpkin

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canned pumpkin
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:29:33 EDT

> >Yep, they'll be fine. Not sure what you're using but I usually have New
> England Pie and LongPie plus an un-named variety that was a bust for
> Johnny's Seeds, which is near here.

This year I planted some large orange pie pumpking and a Cinderella type
green pumpkin. Both from seeds got from pumpkins I bought at the produce
store
last year. Very large pumpkins, long vines, keep well, and very, very fine
grained.

Water was the limiting factor here. And the long epic battle I fought with
squash beetles early in the season. I won, but it delayed the pumpkins and
that cost me more than half the crop that would have been there.

After planting the things for seven or eight years, I finally got a crop of
Lakota squash this year. VERY short season! Haven't eaten any yet so I'm
reserving judgement.

James