homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canned pumpkin

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canned pumpkin
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:27:28 -0400

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

A few years ago I determined that I was growing pumpkins way too early in the season. Spring planted pumpkins matured in July and then deteriorated in the hot summer heat and did not keep well. So I've started planting pumpkins in July and August. Frost just killed the vines. The mature pumpkins (I didn't time this year's as well as last year's) which were about 1/3 of them on the vines, will keep until well into next summer so I don't really need to can any.
Up here we plant as soon as possible but that's no guarantee we'll get finished fruit. This year by the time they got started ripening it still hadn't frosted but the day length too short for much to happen so most everything this year will have to be dealt with by some means other than putting them under the extra bed upstairs.....Usually we can ripen LongPie here, it looks like a giant orange zuke, but is a delicious pumpkin, and holds in a good year very well; some years into May. But this year they are barely ready to use at all so they're going into the dryer for sure
But since you have indicated that you do it with good results, I will dehydrate some this year. I've done that with squashes and used them in squash soup and it was excellent.
Yep, they'll be fine. Not sure what you're using but I usually have New England Pie and LongPie plus an un-named variety that was a bust for Johnny's Seeds, which is near here. Didn't produce well enough to be competitive commercially but an excellent midsize fruit that ripens fairly early, important for us.

Susan Jane, in Maine