homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canned pumpkin

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canned pumpkin
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 23:54:39 EDT

> >It's considered too dense to safely
> be canned.

I would tend to believe it. Of all the canned food I've ever dealt with
(quite a bit!) pumpkin accounts for at least 75% of all the spoiled jars of
food.

A few years ago I determined that I was growing pumpkins way too early in the
season. Spring planted pumpkins matured in July and then deteriorated in the
hot summer heat and did not keep well. So I've started planting pumpkins in
July and August. Frost just killed the vines. The mature pumpkins (I didn't
time this year's as well as last year's) which were about 1/3 of them on the
vines, will keep until well into next summer so I don't really need to can
any.

But since you have indicated that you do it with good results, I will
dehydrate some this year. I've done that with squashes and used them in
squash soup
and it was excellent.

James