homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wood Cookstove

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wood Cookstove
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:34:36 -0400

> As with a great number of other things, the solution we found to resolving
> the disadvantages is to use the cookstove as it is, and then if we need more
> heat, there is a separate stove (a Franklin stove) to add more heat and
> keep a
> fire overnight. We paid nothing for either stove, but I notice the
> equivalent
> of both for sale all the time for a couple hundred dollars. New cookstoves
> of
> modern design are on the order of $2000 to $7000 or so.

This is the solution I'm thinking on. A stove for cooking and that
would be enough heat lots of nights and then use the Franklin I've got
for overnight heat, both when it's real cold.

I don't like the idea of the newer stoves that need the best fuel. I
need to be able to burn what I have. Most of the time that's good
stuff, but sometimes not.

I looked at a Majestic stove tonight, looks like a more modern stove.
I can't find anything about them online, it had two pipes coming out
the back. For running water? It's not for gas. Anyway, that stove did
not click for me. Tiny fire box.

Rob - Va