homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wood Cookstove

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wood Cookstove
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:49:06 -0400

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 9:56 AM, <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

> I own a BakePacker which is a small lightweight convection
> oven that works on top of a backpacking cookstove. I have
> been able to make cakes and breads on the trail with it,
> and it comes in different sizes. It would probably work on
> top of a wood cookstove. I highly recommend it as a
> product, it has served me well for over a decade.
>
> http://www.bakepacker.com/

I checked out the site. Seems like it would work and it's inexpensive, both
a plus. The problem for me is that I dislike the idea of cooking food inside
plastic.

I want to avoid--as best I can--turning on my propane oven this fall and
winter making a big exception for holiday meals, cookie baking and the like.
This is an experiment, I desire to find a half-way decent alternative to
using our oven that is more sustainable than propane, and to cook a whole
range of foods in this new way.

I can't afford a cookstove (unless I get a freebie like James did, or a very
cheap one someone is almost giving away), we bought eye exams for four and
glasses for three people with our (first) stimulus check. We were all long
overdue and had prescription changes, so it was necessary.

Lisa