homestead - [Homestead] Wood Cookstove

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Wood Cookstove
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 23:04:02 -0400

I have a wood burning Franklin Fireplace. I like it, it heats the
house. I like that I can open the doors and have the fire right there.
It's more efficient with the doors closed. I can't really cook on it.

I'm thinking about getting an old wood stove. I'd thought of this
before, I'll need to put in another chimney, but I'm redoing the
kitchen and would like to fit one in. Has anyone worked with an old
stove before. The other option would be a small cast iron stove, the
two burner kind, but I'd like a cook stove. I'm wondering how much it
heats. I'm afraid it might be too much. It sure would be a more useful
way to heat the house, cause I could cook supper on it, bake bread,
etc.

The good thing about having two stove is I can fire up one or the
other, both when it's really cold. Also the fireplace stove is off in
one 700 sq foot area and the 2nd stove would be in the other 900 sq
ft., more even heating.

Rob - Va