homestead - Re: [Homestead] was Powell endorsement--Palin

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was Powell endorsement--Palin
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:27:37 -0800

If it takes them 4 years to graduate from a community college then I don't want them anywhere near anything including the cash register at the local Mickey D's!

I'm amazed that folks haven't read what was written about her. It has been in at least a dozen articles that she did the beauty queen routine because of the scholarships that went with it.

Now, having worked at a community college and having collected data for grant writing, I can tell you that 50% of the kids who enter college never graduate and 70% of the kids getting out of high school have to take remedial English and/or math. That would inclue all the honor roll and AP and AG students. Kids that take 6 years to graduate quite frequently do so because they have to work, not because they have parents paying their way. They also have to do so because they weren't prepared for college by the oh so poor quality education they got at their local public school. When Honor Roll students and AP students sit in an English 1A class and can't tell you the difference between a simple sentence, a complex sentence and a compound sentence, is it any wonder?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

I haven't seen any evidence of how she paid for college. She didn't seem
very serious about college; 5 colleges in 6 years? In my world,
serious-minded people with few resources go to a community college or a
state university where they get a tuition break for being a state
resident, buckle down, and graduate in 4 years. People who transfer a
lot and take 6 years to get a degree (I've seen a lot of them) usually
have parents footing the bill. But I don't know; maybe she was working
her fingers to the bone to earn money for the next school. Like Obama,
she's not forthcoming with her source of school funds.