homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama's lead narrowing ?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama's lead narrowing ?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:13:04 -0400

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Well, Drudge only reports the news he wants. He picks the polls that
shows what HE wants to be reality and ignores the ones that
contradict it. I look at realclearpolitics.com They compile all the
latest polls.

I am not familiar with your link, so I'm looking at it now.
All news outlets pick the polls they want. Look at this article
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/15/presidential.debate/index.html?iref=mpstoryview
It says
A CNN/Opinion Research poll of people who watched the debate found 58
percent said Obama did the best job while 31 percent said McCain did.
The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points, and
the sample of debate-watchers in the poll were 40 percent Democratic and
30 percent Republican.

Ok? So we don't know how large the sample was or where it was taken, but
we do know that there were more Democrats than Republicans, and 30%
obviously undecided or undeclared. That is a lot. No wonder McCain
only got 31%.
That poll was taken right after the debate, but the poll results were
touted on other news sources without the qualifiers which gave the % of
composition of poll. So two or three days later, you hear it was almost
2 to 1 Obama over McCain. Period. That is just unfair, and worse, it
is misleading, because come election day, if you think it will be 2 to
1, you will be in for a big surprise if you have not considered the
makeup of those polled, and when they were polled. If young people
think Obama has it hands down 2 to 1, and they stay home, then there
will be trouble if McCain wins.... I think the media had better start
being a bit more responsible.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda