homestead - Re: [Homestead] Worm grunting mystery solved

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Worm grunting mystery solved
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 15:05:39 -0400

This is such a load of crap. We used to "dig" for worms by shoving a pitch fork into the where we know there are an abundance of worms (like near a compost pile or in a leaf-rich forest floor), and poke around until we found an underground stone. Then scrape the fork tines on the stone until the worms come up. Works every time. A pitch fork scraping on a stone sounds nothing like the type of noise that one would get from 'grunting", however, it all works just the same. Intense vibrations are intense vibrations. Worms hate it and make a hasty exit. I've been told that an old chevy truck repeatedly backfiring has the same effect. Worms coming up in the rain is a form of "mating" and has nothing to do with any of the above. I wonder how much money was spent on this "research". lol

Wendy

Worm Grunting: A Mystery Solved

By HENRY FOUNTAIN
Published: October 17, 2008

"The mystery has been why the vibrations should cause worms to come to the surface. Kenneth C. Catania of Vanderbilt University has provided an answer: worm grunting mimics the sound of a predator, the eastern American mole, causing the worms to flee topside." .........................

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/18/science/21wormgrunting.html