homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomato hornworms

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomato hornworms
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:58:37 -0400

He probably was! I hope you took care of him!
A grasshopper can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. My friend planted some blueberries this year and went out to water them as she did every other day. One plant was almost totally bare of leaves, and she at first thought it was dead or had lost its leaves early. But a closer inspection revealed two grasshoppers munching away on an adjacent plant. Dead grasshoppers now.

Bev

bob ford wrote:
Bev; I just went back out and looked at the tips (and as much as I could,
again, of the rest) of every single branch of the plant. A lot more damage
than I first thought. Over half the plant has the tips missing, over 1/4
stripped. Still, I find no worm.

But, what I did fine. A short , fat grassgopper. Right on the tip of the plant
next to the damged plant. We have lots of grasshoppers here. But this is a
strange looking one. looks just like a hornworm, but short & with
grasshppoer legs, and I didn't notice 'horns'. Usually, our grasshoppers are
brown. I don't know what to do except occasionally check to make sure. But, I
could swear that grasshopper was eating my tomato plant...............bobford