homestead - [Homestead] Tomato hornworms

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tomato hornworms
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:54:00 -0700 (PDT)

Foer the past hour , I have been looking for a (or more) tomato hornworm. I
wnt out to check my plants. And, on the plant with the most (tiny) fruit,
about 1/4 of the plant was stripped of leaves and even the smaller parts of
the limb stalks.

Back before I fell ill and quit gardening for a time, I had experiences with
these pests. They were generally brought in with a new plant from the nursey.

Anyway; I haven't found it. I know it is there, and I can't find it. Maybe
it was alone and already turned into a moth and flew away, but, that I doubt.

I know they are easier to see around the break of dawn. Does anyone know how
to find them in the bright sun of daytime?. Is there a safe type of
pesticide to use to keep them from spreading and increasing population?
.............bobford