homestead - [Homestead] Plant life ethics --for real

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Plant life ethics --for real
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 17:41:26 -0700 (PDT)

Maybe someone with a closer understanding of plants, like Sage or someone
else, can tell me if this article makes these ethics professors sound nutty,
or if I'm just not as educated on the new ethos as should be desired
....bobford

OCTOBER 10, 2008

Switzerland's Green Power Revolution: Ethicists Ponder Plants' Rights

Who Is to Say Flora Don't Have Feelings? Figuring Out What Wheat Would Want

By GAUTAM NAIKArticle

»ZURICH -- For years, Swiss scientists have blithely created genetically
modified rice, corn and apples. But did they ever stop to consider just how
humiliating such experiments may be to plants?

That's a question they must now ask. Last spring, this small Alpine nation
began mandating that geneticists conduct their research without trampling on
a plant's dignity.

Beat Keller
"Unfortunately, we have to take it seriously," Beat Keller, a molecular
biologist at the University of Zurich. "It's one more constraint on doing
genetic research."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122359549477921201.html