homestead - [Homestead] was Reading the bailout bill, now Maine politics

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] was Reading the bailout bill, now Maine politics
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 20:57:10 -0400

Akka Homestead wrote:
My state has 13 Reps, 7 Republicans and 6 Democrats.
11 voted NO, 2 voted YES. Those two were Democrats.

I agree that those who voted for the bill are going to be chastized come
re-election time. IMO, it means either one of two things, either they are in
the pocket of Wall Street with a lot of their own money on the line, OR, they
are simply followers of Pelosi/Bush. Either reason is damning, I think. We
need leadership. We need someone who is not afraid to go against the flow,
to be unpopular for the sake of the country.

I wonder...
could it be that the lines of the parties is so convoluted now that a Southern Republican might approach, in his thinking, a Northern Democrat, and visa versa? I know Maine is full of self sufficient, hard working mountain types who stick to themselves. Sorry for the stereotype.
No need to be sorry on our account; it's largely true and there are few among us who count ourselves "politically correct".
North Georgia is the same. North Georgia is Republican. Is Northern Maine Democratic?
Traditionally diehard Republican, and that where the idiot Collins is from. She took a beating in the local papers today; they mostly come out on Thursdays here---too bad, sister. I don't know as many folks from 'the county' (that would be Aroostook County and the northern parts of Piscataquis and Penobscot Counties; if you check a map you'll see where they stick up; they comprise about half of physical Maine) and those I do know are of a religious persuasion that's completely apolitical, but am aware just from the news, etc, that they are completely disgusted with the Republican party up that way, as is the lower part of Maine. Maine is almost like 2 states, and in fact folks from the county are apt to say about someone from, say Augusta (roughly central) is "from Maine" and to tell a newcomer that they themselves live in "the other Maine".....so quite a schism there, but in politics not so much. I read in Bangor paper a couple of years ago that 10% of Democrats in the state and 50% of Republicans had change their party affiliation to Independent or Green, so that's a lot of discontent. The Republican Party has been in hot water here since the Reagan era and the whole Bush thing has pushed it over the edge.

I think the general truth is that many folks here are disgusted with the whole lot of politicians, period. There are precious few who are willing to stand up and do the right thing, regardless of whence they come.
Could they economically be the same and only differ in social conservatism
vs. social liberalism?
In our particular state, there's a wide--very wide--economic gap between those considering themselves conservative vs liberal, not much of a noticeable gap socially, but that's just Maine, which as we've already noted, is its own beastie.

Now I'm gonna get my knitting and watch The Chick and The Drone.

Susan Jane, soaked