homestead - [Homestead] Kyle

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Kyle
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 12:14:20 -0400

bob ford wrote:
Susan, I don't know anything about canning fish. I was just wondering if you
were getting any of that storm thats hitting maine ...bobford

Yep. Just had a 2-day nor'easter that dumped 7" here where I am, now beginning to get Kyle's offerings. Usually like to listen to radio on Sundays, some good programs on here then, but yesterday and today hopeless for radio, nothing but flood warnings...our town is already out 3 (small) bridges from Hannah, so suppose by now more are gone as several of the remaining ones were damaged. Walking down the road this morning to get milk I saw the neighbor's ducks swimming into his barn, so some not so fortunate as I.

I last evening when I was out choring that there is a new 18" cut in the driveway, so suppose by the time the rain quits it will be impossible to drive out, will have to fork over $$ on this one, I see. Good thing I'm in no hurry to go somewhere.

Weather guy calls for another 5-7" here from Kyle with gusts to 70+mph, so likely the power will be off for a while yet (gotta love laptops and oldfashioned phone lines!) , depending on where trees/limbs go down. We're used to that.......and had some serious wind in the early summer so most of the weak stuff should be down for now. In any event, it's usually ice that gets us the worst, these ocean storms aren't usually big here: like a lot of other sorts of troublemakers, they don't seem to be so fond of cool/cold water & air.

Having said all that, I hate wind. Grew up in midwest: constant wind, tornadoes, lodged crops, trying to clean chicken houses with litter blowing back in your face.......

Susan Jane, enjoying a nice fire while Kyle blows on