homestead - Re: [Homestead] Simplified life ?

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Simplified life ?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:05:04 -0400

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Susan Trickett <gmasue AT inbox.com> wrote:
> Because homesteading, self sufficiency and outside jobs take so much time
> how have you simplified your life?

Good question, Sue. I'm one of the homesteaders that still has an outside job.

My city job owned me. I do the job I do now at will. I don't have a
mortgage here, so any debt I have is optional. When the roof over your
head is not the reason for going to work every day, suddenly you are
free. I'd like to stop the outside job. Right now I have a good gig
and I figure I should keep at it. Some of the time I can work at home
which is a big bonus.

My homestead is 3 years old. I started with nothing but ticks and
land. There are tons and tons of projects. I can schedule those and
prioritize them. Lots of them are optional. Big garden, small garden,
lots of goats, a few goats, do I do the fencing project of just get by
a little longer?

Also, when the pressure is on to do my own projects, it's a lot
simpler that doing projects for some demanding boss. Less stress and
headaches for me.

Rob - Va