homestead - Re: [Homestead] Simplified life ?

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Simplified life ?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:08:54 -0400

Believe it or not, this farm came with a wringer washer manual machine that
is still in the barn. We tried it once, several years ago. On my short list
to try again soon.

The things that I relish the most with electricity are the radio, lights and
hot water.
I've ordered a bunch of wind-up flashlights (a couple w/ radios), we have 3
Aladdin oil lamps (bought extra mantles/wick - hte price of oil lamp has
gone up with everything else) and we can boil water on the wood stove.
Recharging batteries, anyone use a solar battery charger? Would miss
internet access and email.

We recently checked the hand pump for the spring, located in the old root
cellar (dirt dug-out basement under the kitchen). We have a well and a
spring, the former owners dug a well two years before they sold the farm to
us in Fall '00 because the spring was going dry. The spring is back - for
now. We need electricity to pump the well, but not the spring. We have a
good quality water filter for the spring water and it will be used.

Lisa