homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteader on the Roof

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteader on the Roof
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:12:13 EDT

> >And what was his response?

The setup to answer your question goes thus:

The AI man was doing us a favor, no way coming out here to the edge of the
earth to AI one cow was in his financial interest so he was only willing to
take
the money for the straw and not for any of his other expenses. That, by the
bye, is community and that's what's around here in abundance.

He was tired. He had AI'd 100 cows in the past 36 hours and had 100 more to
do. Because of the drought and conditions for selling cows and milk, he was
under some stress too.

He looked at our haystacks and was almost indredulous that they had been
mowed by hand, raked by hand, and stacked by hand. He saw the corn fields
and
potato field and looked at the plow and primitive harrow that had done all
the
work besides what our backs had done, he examied the hewn cedar beams that
held
up the hen house and commented on the Adirondack gates. etc,

We said we were about to make some tea and had some fried pies, would he care
to join us. He nervously looked at his cell phone which was way out of range
and glaced at his watch, "No time, no time! And I don't want to interfer
with your work."

We told him that at 3:00 in the afternoon we'd long since done all our work
and would be playing around for the rest of the day, if not the rest of the
week, ya never know with us.

A final inquiry about the top bar hives and the pump in the garden and he
said, "I don't see how you find time to do all this!"

"Well, you see, it isn't like that. If you live this way .... eh ... oh ...
never mind ...." </HTML>