homestead - Re: [Homestead] Simplified life ?

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Simplified life ?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:23:45 EDT

Well, I don't HATE them - I've lived so long either with them or without
them that it makes me no never mind. I think of doing dishes by hand as one
way
to keep my fingernails clean, and it gives one time to muse in solitude -
simply because once the after-dinner clean-up process has begun, family
members
seem to mysteriously vanish into the bowels of the house. Hmmm...

My parents married just about time TV got 'invented', and we had a
round-screen DuMont in the living room. The husbands from the block (all
two-three of
them) used to show up once a week to watch the Wednesday night fights. My
dad
rigged up a series of mirrors between the living room and the kitchen so
that my mom could watch TV while doing the dinner dishes.

She prized her kitchen window and the view from work she had to do at the
sink, so he made sure that the last mirror swung away during the day, so she
could see the honeysuckle grow, and me - in the distance - walking home from
school.

Peaceful memories.

Sandy
Mid-Mojave

In a message dated 9/26/2008 9:49:24 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,