homestead - Re: [Homestead] Simplified life ?

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Simplified life ?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 11:27:50 EDT

Well, you have a taker - but only in retrospect.
In Magdalena, Sonora, in 1963, there was no such thing as Pampers - or a lot
of other stuff. We had brought with us a supply of the long, gauze-like
cloth diapers, and it was a given that they would be washed and re-washed.
That's
just the way it was done.
It required going out at dawn each day and lighting a fire under the big pot
on the patio and scrubbing them clean on a tin washboard. They were hung
over a rope between two trees.
Bummer was that there was a car repair shop next door, on the other side of
a tall masonry wall, where once in a while they'd have an 'incident', and
black soot floated over the wall and I'd have to start all over again.
Ahhh...those were the days.
Sandy
Mid-Mojave

In a message dated 9/26/2008 7:43:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
genegerue AT ruralize.com writes:

On Sep 26, 2008, at 9:21 AM, <eureka AT hctc.net> <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

> We were talking last night about life without
> electricity, and both decided we could make do, if we had
> to, except for one thing: hauling water up from our
> pioneer well would do us in.

My brother, Don and I recently visited the log cabin built for Starker
Leopold, son of Aldo Leopold, author of A Sand County Almanac and
considered by many the father of natural resources conservation. The
cabin is in Caney Mountain Refuge, about six miles from Heartwood. The
cabin site is magnificent, atop huge rock formations and looking out
over heavy woods and creek bottom. Starker was hired to be the first
manager of the refuge, which is nearly eight thousand acres and where
most notably the Missouri deer and turkey population was built up from
very few animals in the forties.

We discovered the negative of living in such an inspiring site. A
spring box was poured of concrete to collect water from a hillside
seepage. To get to the spring box there is a long set of stone steps
down from the cabin. Carrying water up for drinking and cooking would
mean carrying buckets up those seventy or eighty steep steps, an
elevation I would guesstimate about seventy feet.

My first impression was that this glorious place would be a total
delight in which to live. Then the daily reality sunk in.

Nostalgia is nice. Electricity is better.

Who on this list would happily wash clothes by hand?