homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rats jumping ship

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rats jumping ship
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:10:47 -0700 (PDT)

Lynn, philisophically, I might agree.  But, I don't think you are really
considering the consequences.  Without giving our credit markets stability,
the following can occur.

This is a blurb from a brilliant very successful person, whose opinion is
held in high esteem by a quite a number of people.  I'm not saying that this
will occur, as he is not, just that it is a possible scenario........

The Fed is in a box of their own making.The greatest danger to the system
are not the banks at the moment but the hedgefunds.Their structure is
leverage and will not get the preferential treatment from the Fed as the
banks do.As long as the Fed takes in the toxic loans from the banks at its
face value ,things will work out as long as the foreign Central banks accept
the dollar by buying treasury paper.

If there are no takers the dollar will sink
to new alltime depths,this will make the commodities double and triple priced
in dollars.However the hedge funds are stuck in illiquid investments and will
blow up if the commodities start to advance in a big way as you saw the price
of oil on the spot market take a huge jump of 25%.If more commodities
are going into the same direction because the dollar is sinking ,the next one
to watch is the Yen.This carrytrade has the making of a Tsunami when this one
is starting to unwind.

Gold will rise like a rocket and there will be no Central bank stepping in to
sell their hoard in order to stabilise the price.
Following that scenario ,you will see a run on the banks after the ATM
machines shut down.We will see a bank holiday with the ensueing chaos.
My recipe is to have at least three month cash on hand and the rest
to have in gold coins.Stockmarkets will be shut as well and martial law will
be instituted. My take is,be prepared , cities will be death traps

back to me:  While you might be isolated, do you not have family or friends
that are dependent on constant trade to provide them the necessitites of
life.  I can joke about sitting in my lawn chair with a Kalashnikov rifle,
but that would be devestating for me and millions of others.  I also have
parents, brothers, and a few friends, who are even more dependent on the
system than I am.  If we all moved, today, to "the country" , then, "the
country" would cease to exist.  Some of us must live , at least part of our
lives, in congested, densely populated cities.  Some of us might be nice
people who don't want to see the primitive sides of our fellow humans so
exposed.   ....bobf