homestead - Re: [Homestead] Plants are blooming

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <vdjor AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Plants are blooming
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:22:30 -0400

My greenhouse is a large converted metal dairy barn. It's set up like
the Solviva greenhouse, with the whole north side heavily insulated and
the south side double glazed (Lexan and one sheet of greenhouse
plastic). It has concrete floors. I have 20 or 25 55-gallon drums of
water for additional thermal mass, and a small fan that blows hot air
through a pipe from the ridge to the area where the barrels are.

I haven't been able to keep it above freezing in the winter. It gets
down into the 20's, which I guess isn't too bad when it's below 0 out. I
have a coal stove in there, but stoking the stove at 11pm on a snowing
night got old fast, and didn't keep it warm enough to actually grow
anything. I sense that it has so much potential, and it frustrates me
that I can't make it work the way I want. Figs love it in there, so my
current thinking is to start a fig plantation.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga County, PA