homestead - Re: [Homestead] Enjoy the quiet while it lasts...

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Enjoy the quiet while it lasts...
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:28:59 -0500

Awright, this has gone far enough. I figured you were both joking but I see that at least one of you is serious. Obtuseness is, in fact, a word.

obtuse |əbˈt(y)oōs; äb-|
adjective
1 annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand : he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse. See note at stupid .
• difficult to understand : some of the lyrics are a bit obtuse.
2 (of an angle) more than 90° and less than 180°.
• not sharp-pointed or sharp-edged; blunt.
DERIVATIVES
obtusely |əbˈt(j)usli| |ɑbˈt(j)usli| adverb
obtuseness |əbˈt(j)usnəs| |ɑbˈt(j)usnəs| noun
obtusity |-sitē| |əbˈt(j)usədi| |ɑbˈt(j)usədi| noun
ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense [blunt] ): from Latin obtusus, past participle of obtundere‘beat against’ (see obtund ).