homestead - Re: [Homestead] deer

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] deer
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 21:58:59 -0800

When we moved up here from the coast, we were just plain flabbergasted by the size (just about midgets compared to coastal deer) and how late the fawns arrived. We've only seen a couple of does with twins and they are the norm down on the coast, not the exception.

Last week we almost hit one doe who darted across our road. Her fawn was still in full spots.

I don't think we've ever seen a fawn before late June/early July up here. Again, not the norm on the coast.

We just figured it was because the food around here is slim or none unless you get down on the valley floor. We're talking buck brush and acorns. That's it!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Akka Homestead" <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>

Has anyone noticed that the deer seem to cycling later and later in the year? Normally, I think they would go into estrus in November, but some around here have gone back in repeatedly because I am seeing very young fawns-still wobbly- less than a few weeks old- this late in the season. Gestation is about 6.5 months(200 days). If the fawns I am seeing were born in mid August, then the doe would have conceived in early February. That is more than 5 cycles!! I read that herd condition can play a part in this, so I am guessing that overcrowding is leading to malnourishment, which is leading to poor conception or inability to mate or lack of estrus? Has anyone else noticed any of this in your area?