homestead - Re: [Homestead] Guess who

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Guess who
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 21:29:06 -0800

Well, I didn't listen to his speech. I read the speech, although I did find it interesting that Aljazeera was the first to have the text up on the internet.

And I found a whole bunch of tall tales in it. For example, when speaking of his mother, "who raised my sister and me on her own while she worked and earned her degree." His mother didn't raise him. His grandparents did. She had a college degree long before his sister was ever born.

Or "my grandmother, who worked her way up from the secretarial pool to middle-management, despite years of being passed over for promotions because she was a woman." Well, I guess being the Vice President in a bank is now "middle management" and getting there in the 60s is getting passed over because she was a woman?

Or "Washington's been talking about our oil addiction for the last thirty years, and John McCain has been there for twenty-six of them." Well, Joe Biden's been there for all 30 of them.

Or "For while Senator McCain was turning his sights to Iraq just days after 9/11, I stood up and opposed this war" Nope, total falsehood. I guess he believes it himself now that he's said it so many times. Unfortunately, interviews in newsprint still exist that tell us that when he was asked, in 2004, how he would have voted, his answer was "I don't know." And I quote, again, "On Iraq, on paper, there's not as much difference, I think, between the Bush administration and a Kerry administration as there would have been a year ago. [.] There's not much of a difference between my position and George Bush's position at this stage. The difference, in my mind, is who's in a position to execute."

And, he did say "I will cut taxes for 95% of all working families. Because in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle-class," so I don't understand the whole thing about distortions and the empty yapping heads like Beck and Limberger. Now, here's my problem with this. He's going to lower taxes for 95% of *all* working families. O.K., that covers the sociological classes of "lower," "middle," "lower middle," "working," and "upper middle" class folks. And he's going to do this why? Because we shouldn't raise taxes on the middle-class. The problem, as I see it is that he somehow doesn't consider removing the cap on Social Security taxes as raising taxes. That means that everyone making over $87,900 is going to have their taxes go up. Well, the "middle-class" is now at the place where it includes a whole bunch of folks making over that current cap. Plus, a whole bunch of folks who are "all working families" make way beyond the cap. That means their taxes go up.

And that's just a few of the problems with his speech. Plus, it's not as pretty a speech as he gave the first time around <g>

Lynda, who watched the first speech but was bored spitless after the first few minutes of the newest speech.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

The sad thing is that there are millions of people that didn't watch
the speech and will get informed on it from another source... and
believe it. I had a long drive today for work. Listened to parts of
Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh as I do to hear another side to things.

They were completely distorting and making some flat out lies about
what Obama said. Millions of people don't bother to get it from the
horses mouth, they let the myriad of commentators from both sides
"fill them in".

Rob - Va