homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cheesemaking, milk and goats

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cheesemaking, milk and goats
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 11:43:42 -0800

Ah, you do know the rules around here, right? And your cheese recipes would be where?????

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

Hey all,

I sold most of my Boer goats at the market in town a couple of weeks
ago. Kept two girls that are promising and 3 wethers that are for the
freezer. I also kept 3 milkers, 2 Nubian x Alpine nannies and a red
goat that give lots of milk and has few manners.

I've been milking for two weeks now. It ties me down to 6 and 6, but
also is a great way to bond with the animals and profit from them at
the same time. One nanny licks me like her kid after I milk her.
Sweet.

I'm saving 2 gallons of milk a day, after what we, dogs and cats
drink. This year, I've figured out the chemistry of mozzarella cheese
and am making feta and some other cheeses. I still have a little feta
from last fall, it's good.

I've decided to go milk goats. I have a really good Nubian buck coming
in soon and will add a couple of nannies next spring. I'm also adding
a couple of piglets to take care of all this whey.

When I was thinking of homesteading, I always thought a cow was the
way to go, and still would like to have a jersey cow around here. But,
I have to say, goats have proven me wrong. The milk is great tasting,
and arguably healthier. They are easy keepers and easy milkers.

This week, I am going to experiment in provolone cheese for aging. A
lot of people are surprised that I make hard cheese from goat milk. l
hate that sour, soft goat cheese that they sell in the grocery. I've
found that I can make just about any cheese from goat milk.

I think that a good milking nanny goat or two or three are a good
addition to any homestead!

Rob - Va