homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cheesemaking, milk and goats

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cheesemaking, milk and goats
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 21:53:57 -0700

At 8/23/2008 08:47 PM,Robert Walton wrote:

When I was thinking of homesteading, I always thought a cow was the
way to go, and still would like to have a jersey cow around here. But,
I have to say, goats have proven me wrong. The milk is great tasting,
and arguably healthier. They are easy keepers and easy milkers.

I think that a good milking nanny goat or two or three are a good
addition to any homestead!

Rob - Va

We had goats for 3 years, milked them once a day, the chickens & turkeys that were milk fed were the best eating yet.
Kept the goats in with electric fence until we got one who would just not stay & she taught the others to get over the fence. Stock panels took care of that. I really should have been faster at culling the one who always thought the grass was greener...
Fresh milk, friendly animals (that I could pick up and move<g>), and they were great at clearing the Minnesota brush.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net