homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cheesemaking, milk and goats

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cheesemaking, milk and goats
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:15:16 -0400

> If you lived any closer to me (or me to you), I'd be one of your frequent
> and faithful customers.

I went to look at a billy goat for sale in Floyd County. Isn't that
near you? Goats just seem to look better on the side of a mountain.

> He tells me how they all escape sooner or later
> and we'd have to fence up the trees to prevent them from being eaten to
> shreds. Do you agree or disagree? I'd like to hear a summary of what it
> really entails to take care of just a couple goats.

Chickens are easier than goats. For just a couple, you need hay in
winter. Good hay and pasture if you're not going to feed grain.

Good fences. Woven wire with barbed or electric on top. I have good
fences between me, the garden, fruit trees and the goats. On the away
side I use electric. They stay in fine as long as there is good food
inside the fence. 5 minutes in your orchard or garden and a couple of
goats can do some major damage.

On the other hand, I think it's worth the bother to be able to make
cheese and drink milk. I don't drink store milk and hate to eat store
cheese. Bad side of milking is I'm tied to this place until I dry them
off.

Rob - Va

Rob - Va