homestead - Re: [Homestead] Putting Down a Dog

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Putting Down a Dog
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:57:59 -0400

> On our farm is an animal graveyard on the far side of the barn, in it we've
> buried one dog, one cat and many chickens.

Thanks for the thoughts Lisa. Most dogs, get a special place for me.
Like 'em better than most people.

When the Dalmatian died I started a graveyard. The goat that died went
for dog food, and any chickens just get a hole in the ground. Even the
cat just got a hole in the ground, but started a graveyard for my
loyal old dog. I covered the dirt with flat stones and set one up as a
marker.

The pig got out last winter and rooted it all up including what was
left of the dog. Then she strewed the pieces all over. Great fun! I
ended up gathering what I could and putting it back together. The
sausage was still good.

Rob - Va