homestead - Re: [Homestead] Putting Down a Dog

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Putting Down a Dog
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:45:15 -0500

Rob, my heart goes out to you and your dog. I have always felt placed on Earth to nurture and heal, so I have never felt it was mine to put an animal down. My vet respects this.

I think this comes in part from caretaking throughout most of my childhood two parents dying of fatal illnesses. I realize a good deal of the strength I have today came from dealing with that suffering, both theirs and mine. I've just learned to accept that it is part of life. Since moving to the country I have lost two cats, a pet goat, and two dogs. All have died in my arms on their own time. Only my beloved 18 year old wiener dog seemed to suffer in the last days that I wondered if I had done the right thing not putting him down. I would think the vet would be the most humane way to go.

It is an individual choice, as Gene says, but as long as she recognizes and trusts you it may not be her time.

--Sage

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:09:35 -0400