homestead - Re: [Homestead] Satellite Internet

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Satellite Internet
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:06:17 -0400

On Jul 16, 2008, at 12:08 AM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net> wrote:

....We are 5
miles by road to the town... and that's beyond the limit for DSL.

I'm 13 mi. to town, we got connected to DSL about one year ago.

Lisa,

Good for you that you got connected.. Is the speed you get ok?

I'm not up on the current DSL situation, but as I understand it, if you are beyond a certain distance to the place where the equipment is, you have trouble with DSL. That would be whatever building the phone company has, which might well not be in the town. Where we moved from two years ago, we were beyond the practical limit. In addition, our section of the town was built in the early 60's, and the phone lines were put in at that time. The phone folks have a way to measure the distance the wires take to get to your house. Their websites may not answer correctly when you ask if DSL is available.

Of course,
our phone/internet connection company also has a complete monopoly here and
has had recent press for having what else but financial problems.

Let's hope that they fail and are quickly bought out by some outfit that upgrades your service and lowers the rates!

Roy
ever the optimist

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net