homestead - Re: [Homestead] Satellite Internet

  • From: "WF Smith" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Satellite Internet
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:48:31 -0400

> Well, it's all relative...happiness, that is.
> Download 22 kbps Upload 100kbps...

There are a lot of things you can do to improve that 22kbs... One is make
sure the phone wire to your modem goes directly to your house service
entrance. Make the modem the first connection to bellsouth. That will make
the most improvement. Next is trying a new modem. I didn't realize this
until something, I guess lightning, got my built-in modem a while back and I
had to buy a replacement. You can also call your telephone company and
complain that you have static in your voice telephone service. Tell them you
have a quality, corded phone and you are still having static issues. They
don't care about computer issues but they will send someone out to check all
your connections if you say its a voice problem.

These are small things, but an improvement from 22k to 56k is still more
than double.

Warren