homestead - [Homestead] Garlic

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Garlic
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:51:05 -0400

I just got finished digging my garlic this weekend. Dug about 1/4 of
last weekend to send back to DC with my aunt. That left maybe 150 or
200 heads for me. It was a nice crop this year in spite of the
apparent nitrogen deficiency and that I planted it around the first of
the year. I'm committed to planting in Nowember this year. The cloves
are all good size on this years crop, it I get it in in November,
should be even better!

Now, I saved some of the little seed garlic from scapes that I'd left.
When we were discussing garlic before, James said that if I planted
them, I'd get small cloves. If I plant them now, will they grow and
make garlic by November? Or will they wait until next spring to make
heads? Just curious how is the best way to use them to increase my
seed garlic?

I put the garlic out on an old piece of plywood to dry off and then
the plan is to brush dirt off and tie in bunches to hang. What's the
best way to get it through the rest of summer, then fall and winter?

Rob - Va