homestead - Re: [Homestead] suburbia becomes untenable with rising gas costs

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] suburbia becomes untenable with rising gas costs
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:33:45 -0500

If it weren't for the drip irrigation running off the the pioneer well on the underground river we'd be gonners. Still, I may have to come a calling with all my containers by August. Elmer Kelton (great Western novelist) wrote The Year It Never Rained about the great 50's drought of Texas. Some old timers remember it here.

It is interesting to note that in 2004 and 2006 we had 29 inches of rain on each of the Tuesdays before the 4th of July, giving us what FEMA determined to be 500 year floods almost back to back. Tomorrow is the Tuesday before the 4th of July. I can only hope for rain, only not that much. It's feast or famine.

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:12:52 -0500