homestead - Re: [Homestead] suburbia becomes untenable with rising gas costs

  • From: "Chris Clarke" <hstead AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] suburbia becomes untenable with rising gas costs
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:47:40 -0400

Gene,

Everyone's been discovering Colorado since the Ute... :D Before the
"funions" were the Texans in the 70's.

I was there in the second of the three recent discoveries, the early and
mid 1990s. Moved out 1997 and have only been back twice, both in 1998.
I used to love the Palmer Divide. Quiet and isolated. No more I guess,
huh?

I wonder about Cheyenne Ridge, and the Wiggens area. I simply can't
believe THAT would ever be developed. Used to watch storms roll over
the mountains in that area...

Everyone moves to Colorado expecting to love the mountains. And they
are wonderful.
But the High Plains have a beauty I didn't expect, and think about them
often here in jungle of the east coast. Alas, << 20" rain a year
doesn't really allow serious development without serious money into
infrastructure. (as in LA and California)

Both a blessing and a curse. A long-term drought will turn eastern
Colorado (and western Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakotas) back in the
desert have been in the past.

Chris