homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oh, that feels so . . . awful!

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: vdjor AT yahoo.com
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oh, that feels so . . . awful!
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:53:31 -0700 (PDT)

Van Dell, many years ago before I met my wife,

**The following true story is a bit racy and also involves religion. Delete
now if easily offended**

To continue: , I was living with a girl ,then, in Flagstaff, Arizona. We had
just moved to Flagstaff from Virginia and didn't know anyone. In the South,
one way to make friends is to join a church. Well, we decided, in Flagstaff,
to try the Mormon church, 'more Mormons in Arizona than anywhere outside of
Utah.

We had to meet with a man called the ward leader. He asked questions and
said that for the next thirty days we couldn't smoke (we didn't anyway) , we
couldn't use alcohol (we didn't anyway), we couldn't use caffeine etc.
Also , because we were living together and not married we had to also refrain
from "relations" for thirty days.

The ward leader returned in thirty days , talked to us for a while about some
of the outside activities we had participated in with the church ward. He
then started asking questions about whether we had smoked, drank used
caffeine, etc. for the past thirty days to which I proudly continued to reply
"no".

When he arrived at the last question concerning whether we had abstained from
relations for the past thirty days, I said " Well, we were doing fine until
just last week. But, last thursday, we went to the supermarket to shop, and
while there, she bent over to pick up some tomatoes she had dropped and my
mind really started to work".
I continued that "that is the only rule that we broke". He shook my hand
and said "I'm sorry, but you are no longer welcome at the Mormon Church"; I
said "well, that's all right, the man at the supermarket said that we weren't
welcome there anymore either"......bobford