homestead - Re: [Homestead] War

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] War
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:44:23 -0800

My dad went to Oregon to use a phony birth certificate to get into the service. He has a ruptured ear drum from the big guns on the ship he was on. He was in what was to become the Navy Seals. He also did his 20 years in the Reserves. His advise to me, my cousins and the ex was don't do it. If the war came to us, fight. If it doesn't come to us, don't join.

DH's father was on the front in WWII for a year. He was a Timberwolf. He threatened to disown his kids if they volunteered. He raised them to defend THIS country and to stay out of the wars of politicians!

There are different breeds of military folks.

I have a good friend who is a Green Beret (now retired). He also isn't a believer in the wars of politicians and is rabidly anti the Iraq war.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

It has been my observation that those who have been in battle, those
who have suffered in the military, and of course those of family
military history and pride, tend to feel that war is bad but
necessary, that service is a duty, and that it is necessary to engage
in war from time to time to let the world know we are ready, willing,
and able. I felt this to be evident when Tvo and I debated the Iraq
invasion. It came to me that truth, logic and reason are different if
you have a wartime background. Some of you will recall Tvo's
description of a pilot released at the end of a runway by his Japanese
captors--he had literally been skinned alive and begged to be shot.

Such memories change how one's mind works.

I was lucky. I enlisted in the Army just before high school graduation
and went to basic training right after graduation. My luck was that
the year was 1954, as the Korean war was ending and before the Vietnam
war had become full-blown. So I spent my Army years running a drafting
office in Japan. I am not one bit sorry that it worked out like that.
I respect and have great empathy for those who have served under more
difficult conditions, even more so when those conditions were
unnecessarily created by politicians, as has almost always been the
case in modern times.

Old men have experience and sometimes they have wisdom. Often they
have pride. When pride overrides wisdom, they do foolish things.