homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dehydrated veggies and fruit

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dehydrated veggies and fruit
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 07:47:20 EDT

Old thread, I know. But...

We found that for many things, dehydrated produce got used more than frozen
or canned or salted or pickled. There is a row of half gallon jars of
dehydrated tomatoes (a bushel makes one half gallon jar) and the children
call them
"ketchup candy". Onions, garlic, sweet corn, peas, carrots, okra, peppers of
all types, are all right there in glass jars and remind the cook that a
handful
can be added to omlets, soups, pot pies, stir fries, tacos, etc.

Dehydrated food keeps longer in good condition than either canned or frozen.
Canned food never changes (in our lifetime) but it's rather severely modified
to begin with. Frozen food has a finite storage life. But properly
dehydrated and properly stored food lasts for years and years.

Dehydration doesn't kill all insect eggs, but freezing the jars or bags for
three days, then thawing for three days, then freezing for three more days
does
kill them all.

One of the few gadgetier-than-thou things we bought (years ago) was the
Excalibur dehydrator and have not regretted a penny of it. </HTML>