homestead - Re: [Homestead] Walnut catkins uncertainty

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Walnut catkins uncertainty
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 22:03:38 -0500

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> Let us know how that turns out. Some trees are hard to transplant as
> they quickly put down a tap root and if that is broken the tree tends
> to die or be puny.

My mother and I transplanted many trees, some of impressive size. One
of the things we did was dig down and cut the tap root early in the
season. Then the tree would spread its roots out laterally. In the
fall we'd dig it up and move it to the yard. Those trees did okay,
though several were sycamores, and they have some kind of disease that
makes them do poorly, regardless. The river birch was our biggest
success.

Marie, who can't do half the work my mother could do when she was my age