homestead - Re: [Homestead] Walnut catkins uncertainty

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Walnut catkins uncertainty
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:32:08 -0400

I found this site on iron gall ink. Everything you ever wanted to know about iron gall ink, even how to make it.

http://www.knaw.nl/ecpa/ink/index.html

Wendy

On May 27, 2008, at 8:25 PM, Gene GeRue wrote:

Unable to determine pH or potential toxicity or other negativity of
walnut catkins in garden beds or in compost. Anyone know?

Unable to pull from memory any meaning for the work "catkin". Have
half a bucket of black walnuts here from the lawn, intending to plant
them at the new house in about a month or so.

Any advice on growing black walnut trees from the nuts welcome.

Related notes:
1. Black walnut husks have been used to make ink.
2. The Constitution of the United States of America was written with
"iron gall ink". Iron gall ink may be related to black walnut husk
ink, I dunno.
3. At one time, the folks in Puerto Rico (I think it was) wanted to
put their constitution on permanent display outside in the sun. The
experienced folks where I used to work (NBS, now NIST) who have worked
on two different display cases for our Constitution, strongly advised
them that there was no way to protect a historical document such as
that from the sun.
4. Newspapers from prior to about 1900 are still in excellent
condition because they were made on good paper. Modern news print
degrades within a short period of time and if left in the sun, yellows
in a day or less.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net