homestead - Re: [Homestead] Walnut catkins uncertainty

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Walnut catkins uncertainty
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:46:15 -0400

On May 28, 2008, at 10:21 AM, Gene GeRue wrote:
On May 28, 2008, at 8:58 AM, Roy Morgan wrote:

Any advice on growing black walnut trees from the nuts welcome.
...Plant black walnuts well back from future gardens--the juglone in

their root system is toxic to a long list of plants... they tend to be messy

Gene,

Thanks for the succinct and valuable advice.

The new house is some cupla t'ousand feet from the pond. Well, maybe one. I think some willows near the pond would be nice, and maybe some black walnuts.

... be generous with your distance from house or
gardens. Also, you don't want the roots near septic systems

Good point on the septic system. We have a rough idea where that is, and can get more details soon.

I may eventually put in a graywater system near the small barn where I'll have my shop. ("Shop" is likely to include a modest photo darkroom and a sink/wash area for cleaning equipment.)

Once they start growing prune them to a central leader. You want them
straight and tall, for your grandchildren to make beautiful furniture
from.

Indeed. My grandfather was a cabinet maker in Boston. My Grandmother may have complained that there was no place to put the baby's clothes, and some time later he came home late - on a horse drawn cart perhaps, instead of the usual trolley. On the cart was a four drawer mahogany dresser with mirror he'd managed to put together in spare time at the factory. That was 1908. I have it here now. I remember my grandmother telling me that the Cuban Mahogany they sometimes used was very hard on the tools. 'Had sand in it, she said. (Unlikely!)

Catkins are walnut sex pendants, the long, droopy, fuzzy things that
hang down and then fall to the ground,

Maybe that has happened already this year. I'll look for them.

Oh, I forgot to report that I can count at least 3 or 4 little walnut tree volunteers here - most under 6 feet tall. I hope to dig some of them up to get a head start at the new place.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180