homestead - Re: [Homestead] Small Grains, Was Hulless Oats

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Small Grains, Was Hulless Oats
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 19:27:22 -0500

I've got one bed, about 4 by 30 feet in grain amaranth this year. I
have no idea how well it will do here in Central Illinois. When you
venture into the crops that aren't a major agricultural crop, you
simply have to be willing to experiment a little bit, as the "expert"
advice for my locale doesn't exist yet. Maybe if I am successful with
it, I'll be an expert at it years from now. But right now, I'm just
experimenting. I Googled a bit about grain amaranth cultivation and
got some very general information. I read quite a bit. But none of it
was really specific to my growing conditions. So, there's no way to
find out what works that is much better than just planting it and
finding out!

I think when one grows grain, it is wise to just launch into the
project and grow grain. The investment for a small plot is very
minimal. The knowledge gained from each year's experiment is
invaluable.

I've also got another 4 by 30 foot bed in Bloody Butcher corn. I
already have visions of yummy cornbread this coming winter!

Gloria