homestead - Re: [Homestead] Small Grains, Was Hulless Oats

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Small Grains, Was Hulless Oats
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 07:39:54 -0500

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> On May 25, 2008, at 12:31 AM, Marie McHarry wrote:

> Here's an article that tells about DNA testing of wheats and suggests
> that spelt may have been known BCE (That means before the current
> era, right, otherwise known as BC?)

CE = Common Era

BCE = Before the Common Era

The dates are the same as those of the Gregorian calendar (the modern
calendar that everyone uses in which the current year is 2008), but
scholars like BCE/CE better because it gets around the problem of
basing the calendar on the birth of Christ, which almost certainly
didn't happen in the year 1.

The 1950 that Don is thinking about is, IIRC, used as the present time
for carbon dating, but I haven't had my coffee yet, so my synapses may
not have hooked up correctly yet.

Marie