homestead - Re: [Homestead] Small Grains, Was Hulless Oats

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Small Grains, Was Hulless Oats
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 16:09:16 -0500

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> On May 24, 2008, at 9:20 PM, Gene GeRue wrote:...
>> I've wondered about amaranth. Where did you get your seed?
>
> Is it Spelt that was supposed to have been re-grown from SEVEN seeds
> found in an egyptian mummy's pocket or some such tale? And it's
> PATENTED, so you are not supposed to grow any of your own?

No it isn't. Indeed, I've no idea what you are talking about, but at
least I can take comfort that you don't either. I planted Golden
Amaranth. It is not patented. Spelt is Triticum spelta. The type of
amaranth I am growing (there are, I think, 3 different amaranth
species in cultivation) is Amaranthus hypochondriacus. Amaranth is a
broadleaf plant. None of the tritcums are broadleaf plants. They are
nothing even remotely close. At any rate, I am not infringing on
anyone's patent, so you can stop typing in CAPS and getting excited.
:P