homestead - Re: [Homestead] delurking: question re tomato cages and yacon

  • From: Rebecca Lewinski <rebas_own AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] delurking: question re tomato cages and yacon
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 21:50:49 -0700

hi there, Bev!

> Hi Rebecca, and you know I HAVE to ask...are you related to Monica? hehe ;)

she of infamy spells her name the Russian way, with a "y" at the end. The
Spouse's people spell theirs the Polish way, with the "i". The other
difference is that we Polish Lewinskis seem to know when to...uhm... keep our
mouths shut! > It sounds like you are like me in that a biologic saved your
quality of > life. I take Enbrel. Do you have RA?

Not rheumatoid arthritis (that's a hard path). In the process of dealing
with thyroid cancer last year, a congenital narrowing in my spinal canal
kicked into overdrive, and the canal got choked up with junk in a few places.
To unpinch the spinal cord, they had to sort of roto-rooter everything loose
and remove some of the bony extensions on the lumbar vertebrae, as they were
mutating into something else and were happily shredding ligaments. I still
have a limp that rivals a pirate captain's, but hey--I'm walking. The docs
want to go after my limp next--it's partly back-related, but also partly due
to a rip in the lining of the socket and some cysts that have set up
housekeeping in there. But I'm kind of tired of being dissected, so I've
been putting off the hip surgery.
> Anyway, I made 'monster' raised beds....I'll try to dig up some pics for >
> you if you are interested. They aren't that pretty to look at, but it >
> sure works for me.

I'd love to see the pics! I did hear of a display garden nearby that I've
got to see--it was designed for the vision-impaired (lots of scented and
touchable plants), and most of it can be tended from a wheelchair. Should be
interesting.

Didn't get my yacon cages made today, but I hope to take a whack at 'em
tomorrow (haven't figured out yet how I'm going to hurk a bale of straw out
of my van, but it will probably involve use of a strategically-placed tarp
and some ropes). Can't remember who it was here that raised yacon, but they
sounded tasty. I've got a neighbor interested in them too, as they supposed
to be a great food for diabetics.

-Rebecca in western Washington state

http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_052008