homestead - Re: [Homestead] delurking: question re tomato cages and yacon

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] delurking: question re tomato cages and yacon
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 13:42:08 -0400

Rebecca Lewinski wrote:
Hello, all!

I haven't properly introduced myself since joining the list some
months back, but here I am! I'm Rebecca,

Hi Rebecca, and you know I HAVE to ask...are you related to Monica? hehe ;)

our family of four lives in
western Washington state about an hour north of Seattle (not quite
empty nesters but it's getting close). We've been sort of urban
homesteading for the last two decades, but it fell by the wayside a
few years ago due to various infirmities that needed fixing. I don't
always have time to go over the posts in this list, but I do try to
scan for helpful bits that will allow me to garden again (anyone got
a favorite site for info on building an "accesible" garden? Thanks
to modern medicine I can walk now. I just can't bend over much, or
lift much without putting myself out of commission).

It sounds like you are like me in that a biologic saved your quality of life. I take Enbrel. Do you have RA?
Anyway, I made 'monster' raised beds....I'll try to dig up some pics for you if you are interested. They aren't that pretty to look at, but it sure works for me.

Loved the ideas presented regarding the Tomato Ring!

Thank you.

Do you yacon
growers think a person could plant a yacon in the middle of the
tomato ring and not have the tomatoes and yacon take a dislike to
each other? I was going to do a compost/straw cage to grow yacon in
this year, as I thought it would make the tubers really easy to
harvest (never tried yacon before, got three starts in the mail this
week). Perhaps someone can recommend something other than tomatoes
to train up over my yacon cages, or perhaps a different mix of
growing medium in the cage?

I don't know what that is...I'll have to look that up..

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky