homestead - Re: [Homestead] Establishing pasture

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Establishing pasture
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 09:56:07 -0800

It wasn't a big space, but our neighbor was successful. It took a couple of years but he ran goats in until it was dirt and then used one of those thingys whose name escapes me at the moment. Not tilling but like a bunch of fingers that go down and just turn the soil up. He turned the goats back in and they munched on roots for a week or so and then he went back in with the tiller and planted a cover crop. I don't remember if if was alfalfa or something else. Seems to me it was alfalfa and he got a hay crop out of it. The following spring he turned out sheep and goats and did the whole rip it up thing again. the only brambles he has now are on the fence line and they getting sparcer and sparcer as he has the goats in each spring and they are outside this area another part of the year.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

I agree that Moon is correct in looking toward pasture. In creating
pasture, does anyone on the list have experience in converting land to
pasture in which brambles have taken hold?

I've plowed up two fields that I'd like to eventually put to pasture.
One is an acre and a half. I planted it to oats and crimson clover.
The other is 3/4 acre. I planted to buckwheat. Both should be ready
for me to disk and reseed to buckwheat and some other stuff this
summer.

I just walked back there this morning and see a lot of brambles coming
up. I'm hoping that whacking them with the disk in a month or so,
again in August and again in Sept/Oct. will make them very weak for
winter.

Brambles come back from the root and plowing and disking just chop up
the roots and make more starts. Hopefully frequently killing them back
will weaken them and they will die in winter.

Any thoughts?

Moon, are those tillable acres full of brambles :>)

Rob - Va