homestead - [Homestead] Establishing pasture

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Establishing pasture
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 00:07:11 -0400

Hey y'all

I am in Ithaca, N.Y. house hunting and there are lots of places up here that have land in "tillable acres"...just plain old mud right now unless they've got a crop cover on them.

How long would it take, do you think, to plant and establish pasture?

There's a place I like but there's only 5 acres of pasture, but 70 acres of "tillable" fields. It would be nice to have enough space to grow my own hay, but Id be inclined to put at least half of it into pasture use.

I've never done it from scratch before.

Cheers,

Celia