homestead - Re: [Homestead] housecleaning

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] housecleaning
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:45:43 -0400

On Apr 18, 2008, at 10:51 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:
I kept my goats in with ... a nice electric charger...
Does anyone have words of wisdom on solar fence chargers?

Some little experience:

Do not, repeat DO NOT, buy a Zarebe SP3B. They fail at the first rain. These are "three mile" fencers that have a solar panel on them to recharge the small battery inside. Good idea. Bad engineering or manufacturing.

Our CO-OP has a pile of dead ones. The first two we had quit at the first good rain. Of the two replacements, only one made full voltage when new. You need to cover them with a plastic bag or small roof to keep the rain out.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180