homestead - Re: [Homestead] housecleaning

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] housecleaning
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 23:41:26 EDT

> Does anyone have words of wisdom on solar fence chargers? I see
> them in use around here with cattle, and the cattle tend to stay home,
> so they must work okay.

Solar fence chargers are fine. I had a fence charger that ran from four D
batteries. An electric fence uses an amazingly small amount of electricity.
That's why solar works. Basically you are using a 6v or 12v battery that is
maintained by the solar pannel. Several fences we've used were powered by
old
12v car batteries that I'd remove from the fence and recharge every five or
six
weeks. The solar fence charger is like that, only the solar pannel
continuously charges the battery. </HTML>